- Open for application
- First application date:
- Last application date:
- Add to calendar
Translation of Swedish drama for stage performance
This grant aims to make it possible for more Swedish theatre plays in translation to be performed on stage abroad.
In order to apply for this grant you must be the director or producer of a theatre or production company that will be responsible for the performance of the translated play.
This grant covers translation costs of Swedish original theatre plays into other languages. With Swedish original theatre play we mean drama written in Swedish or any of the national minority languages in Sweden. Furthermore, the work has to be originally published/performed in Sweden.
A condition for the grant is that the translation is done directly from Swedish or any of the national minority languages rather than via any third language.
The sum you apply for should correspond to the sum you have agreed to in the signed translation contract with the translator. Support for adaptation or production costs is not covered by this grant.
Applications are open all year round, but submitted applications are evaluated three times a year. Your application must be sent in before the translated play has been performed. The play cannot be performed before the results of the application have been sent out, so do remember to apply in time.
Please note that your application must be received by the Swedish Arts Council no later than 24.00 on the last application date. If your application is submitted after the deadline, it will be evaluated in the next application round.
Application dates 2021
Application dates 2021 for all grants. Get an overview.
Your application is submitted online, via our online-service. Only one work per application is accepted. The application must include the following material:
- a scanned copy of the signed contract between the theatre/production company filing the application and the rights holder
- a scanned copy of the signed contract between the theatre/production company filing the application and the translator
- pdf/word file/ or e-book of the original work, no later than 7 days after application deadline. (Or two copies of the original book) Mark the envelope/email with “Application for translation grant” and the case number.
- the translator's curriculum vitae
In case we haven’t received all necessary material in time, the application will be automatically postponed until the next application round.
Copy of the application form
Please note that the form may be changed. The copy should not be posted.
All the applications received during an application period are evaluated at the same time by an external expert grant committee. Decisions are made approximately 8 weeks after each application deadline, and will be communicated to you, the translator and the rights holder by e-mail.
A list of allocated grants will be published on the Swedish Literature website. Decisions cannot be appealed.
Irrespective of genre, the work for which a grant is being applied must be of high quality in terms of both language and literary qualities. The grant is meant to support translation of contemporary works, but support could also be given to classics. Priority will be given to introduction of the work of contemporary Swedish playwrights into languages where there are no or few previous translations of that author's work.
Terms and conditions for those who are awarded a grant from the Swedish Arts Council
Subsidies granted will be disbursed by the Swedish Arts Council upon:
- receipt of a pdf of the finished translation, along with a pdf of the programme with the acknowledgement of the grant where it is clearly stated that subsidies granted are acknowledged with the following text, translated into the language in question: “The cost of this translation was defrayed by a subsidy from the Swedish Arts Council, gratefully acknowledged”
- receipt of a written confirmation from the translator that (s)he has received payments according to the signed contract (e-mail)
If your application is approved, the granted sum is available for one year, so all the above mentioned requirements must be fulfilled during the year following the approval of the grant. If problems should arise, please contact the Swedish Arts Council immediately.