WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE GRANT?
You can apply for translation costs of the Swedish original theatre play. The applied sum should correspond to the sum agreed in the signed translation contract between the translator and the applicant. Support for adaptation or production costs is not included
WHO CAN APPLY?
Application for this grant may only be filed by the director or producer of a theatre/production company where the Swedish translation will be performed.
WHICH APPLICATIONS WILL BE GIVEN PRIORITY?
Irrespective of genre, the work for which a subsidy is being applied must be of high quality in terms of both language and literary qualities. The grants is meant to support translation of contemporary works, but support could also be given to classics. Priority will be given to introduction of the work of contemporary Swedish playwrights into languages where there are no or few previous translations of that author's work.
HOW IS AN APPLICATION TO BE FILED?
Application should be filled out via the online-service. Only one work per application is accepted. When the application is filed, the following material is to be enclosed:
• scanned copy of the signed contract between the theatre/production company filing the application and the rights holder
• scanned copy of the signed contract between the theatre/production company filing the application and the translator
• pdf/word file/ or e-book of the original work, no later than 7 days after application deadline. (Or two copies of the original book) Mark the envelope/email with “Application for translation grant” and the case number.
• the translator's curriculum vitae
In case we haven’t received all necessary material in time, the application will be automatically postponed until the next application round.
WHEN CAN YOU APPLY?
Application is open all year round. We have three deadlines. The application must be sent in before the book has been printed and published. See the right column for dates. The book cannot be printed before the results of the application have been sent out to the applicants, so do remember to apply in time.
HOW AND WHEN WILL THE DECISION BE MADE?
All applications are evaluated at the same time each application round by an external expert group. Decision is made in approximately 8 weeks after deadline, and is sent out via email to the applicant, the translator and the rights holder.
CONDITIONS FOR DISBURSEMENT OF A GRANTED SUBSIDY
Subsidies granted will be disbursed by the Swedish Arts Council upon:
• receipt of a pdf of the finished translation, along with a pdf of the programme with the acknowledgement of the grant where it is clearly stated that subsidies granted are acknowledged with the following text, translated into the language in question: “The cost of this translation was defrayed by a subsidy from the Swedish Arts Council, gratefully acknowledged”
• receipt of a written confirmation from the translator that (s)he has received renumeration according to the signed contract (e-mail)
• correctly filled out bank details
If an application is approved, the granted sum is available for one year, so all the above mentioned criteria must be fulfilled during the year following the approval of the grant. If problems should arise, please contact the Swedish Arts Council immediately.