Under its mandate, the Swedish Arts Council focuses in particular on developing activities of artistic and cultural merit relating to:
- independent cultural activities in the performing arts and music
- literature, arts periodicals, reading promotion and public libraries
- graphic art and design plus museums and exhibitions
- regional cultural activities
- the culture of the Sami people and other national minority groups
- other cultural areas.
Through its operations, the Swedish Arts Council is required to enact the national cultural policy objectives decided by Parliament and the Government.
Around 80 people work at the central office, located in the Filmhuset building in Gärdet, Stockholm.
The Swedish Arts Council administers the Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award (ALMA).